Thursday, March 1, 2012

NEED YOUR HELP!

If you know me, you know I love to read and write. But what you may not know is that my romance with reading and writing is not academic-based. Although I have officially spent 6 years in school studying reading and writing, my love for books began when I was very young.

But it was not so much the thinking or the written words that I was in love with. I was in love with meeting new people (characters), traveling without ever leaving a room and seeing the world in ways I never had before. I was in love with the way The Giver showed me everything wasn't black and white, the way Matilda talked back to authority (like I was afraid to do), and the way Harry Potter helped me understand love and sacrifice.

But what if you had never read a book or had the opportunity to? Would your life be different? Someone once told me (probably quoting someone famous), "You are the same person you will be in five years except for 3 things: the people you meet, the places you go and the books you read." I know this has been so very true in my own life, but what about you? Well, these kids you're about to meet can hardly get their little hands on a book much less have opportunities to travel and meet people they've never met before. So, think about how you could help change lives with the click of a button:


If you are interested in getting books in the hand of these kids, there is a wish list online through amazon: WISH LIST,  put five books in your cart (5 books sponsors 1 kid), copy and paste in the shipping address below and click buy! They will be under my friend, Megan Forrester's name, who will be working on this project over her spring break. Then, go fill out this quick form so that MS 223 can keep up with the amount that's been donated. 

The written word changes lives. Don't you want to be a part of that?
MS 223
Mr. Ohl - Shoebox Library
360 E 145th Street
Bronx, NY 10454
*For more information, email me @ laura.barron.elmer@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...