Thursday, October 28, 2010

3 eggs & a little sugar

Some people see baking as a chore, but after a day of philosophical thinking in the classroom, there is nothing better than baking. I think for maybe the first time in my life I may understand what people like about math.

In math, there is always a right answer.

I hate math. And I mean loathe it. But after a 3 hour debate on the meaning of "love" with variety pack of people, I see how -- 1 + 1 = 2 and always will -- can be quite a comfort.
But thankfully there is baking. I know that after a day of abstract thinking, when I beat egg whites and sugar together, they will always turn into delicious white puff. I can put them in the oven, let them dry over night, and in the morning I will wake up with delicious little white clouds that melt in my mouth.

Meringues. So, maybe we Elmers talk about food a lot, but there is real wisdom is sugar:

Mary Poppins: "A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down."

Mike Teavee: "Why is everything here pointless."
Charlie Bucket: "Candy doesn't have a point. That's why its candy"

Julie Powell: "You know what I love about cooking. I love that after a day when nothing is sure and when I say nothing, I mean nothing. You can come home and absolutely know that if you add egg yolk to chocolate, sugar and milk, it will get thick. That's such a comfort."

And not to mention, meringues are about the cheapest cooking you can do. 3 eggs, sugar and spice (click here for a great recipe!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...