Thursday, March 28, 2013

Our Life: A Tale of Two Cities


Once upon a time, I finally decided to graduate.

Fact: I have been in school since age 2, meaning that 23 years of my life have been spent in a classroom.  And in all of this schooling, I have been blessed not to have to work any kind of real world job outside of my school or University while studying. I have taught classes, worked in offices, but never had a "real" job, and that's all about to change. This is a story about very real jobs.


In case you missed the background story, David is in his fourth year of a PhD program in Kinesiology, and I am in my third year of a English Master's program, both headed towards graduation. And both headed towards the job market (dun-dun-dun).  As many other graduates have, we felt the pull of the "big, black hole of not knowing" looming before us, and we were constantly asking ourselves, "Where do we go next? What do we do? And how do we do it together?" As we talked about what we would do this past fall, we decided that David would begin applying for jobs to be a professor first, and I would wait to apply for jobs until we heard where he was headed, but then something interesting happened.

I had been very invested in a project at Auburn, and the project was hiring a faculty member. I was encouraged to apply with the notion that it would be "good practice." The job was a faculty position, one I never thought I would be competitive for, but from the very beginning, it was a job would have been honored to have. I made it through the first round of interviews and was on to the second. Suddenly, I realized I was really applying for this job. David was still furiously applying every where and his process was much slower and much more frustrating than what I was experiencing at Auburn. Still, he encouraged me to go through second round interviews especially since this was the only place I was applying.

Interviews ensued and then we waited. Really we were waiting to hear from colleges David had applied to... I honestly didn't think I would get this job. And then I did. When I answered the phone,  I was so shocked I could hardly speak. I couldn't figure out whether I was happy or sad. This was wonderful, but it wasn't the plan. Unlike me, David was cheering and hugging me, so proud. This man - brilliant - talented - worn out from human research and hearing silence, at that moment, on the job front - was gleeful. And I, on the other hand, could only think was, "What does this mean?" 

After much prayer, council, consideration and of course, tears, David encouraged me to take the job. Then, right before I had to make the decision, suddenly he received his first job nibbles. I panicked. What would we do if David was offered a job too? Should I just forget this opportunity? And why did having an opportunity feel so similar to the giant black hole?  Still, David couldn't imagine asking me to turn down a job that I would love and that would change my career for only the possibility of a job. So, following his lead, I signed all the papers...  Only a few weeks later David was offer a job at as a professor at Berry College.

Now this is where the story gets interesting.
{David off to interview}

He had been so happy for me. He had been so strong and encouraging. I had to rejoice with him even though it meant major changes in our lives. I knew this was a possibility. We had talked these scenarios in circles until we were reciting the same conversations over and over. And this is where we are today: one foot in Rome, GA and one foot in Auburn, AL starting in August.

So, this is the other context for coming back to the blog - To process this new stage of life. To document is exciting/hard/interesting/
challenging/crazy/chaotic adventure we are about to embark upon. Two new jobs, two new cities, and two people who truly believe they are one (cheesy but whatever). We will be living in both Auburn and Rome, traveling back and forth, seeing each other 4 out of 7 days. To those of you (especially the families of flight attendants, academics, construction workers, those traveling in ministry, doctors, etc.) who have encouraged us that we can do this and have endured similar situations, I thank you. And to those of you for whom this is news, pray for us. 

And there's one more little secret. I'm writing partially to confess my insecurities, to admit that I'm nervous about not appearing to be the "perfect happy couple." It's hard to explain this situation at a baby shower or a Saturday night wedding. Our jobs have become deep, complicated, personal conversations. But if I'm even more honest with myself, aren't most situations deep, complicated and utterly personal? Feeling the need to seem perfect is not a new struggle for me. And I wonder if I am really alone in feeling the need to have a short version of my life story to tell at weekend parties. Isn't your life a little bit more complicated than where you work or what you're up to these days? 

So, once upon a time, there was a tale of two cities... It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. I guess we'll see. Welcome to a very different phase of "Elmering" and thanks for reading.


--

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...