Monday, August 15, 2011

Camp Elmer: Night Two

Written a few days ago...

After the almost disastrous night among the ferns, David and I were off the next day after coffee over the fire and some strawberry-sprinked pop-tarts (awesome, I know).  And I must say, the day was pretty fun, but not too eventful. Beautiful sites, a few snakes, a bunny or two... David swears he saw a black bear cub in the distance at one point. But probably the most eventful happening on the hike was the creation of our trail names. Apparently, every serious AT hiker has some sweet trail handle. So, of course, we spent a few hours debating our trail names. They went from John Smith & Pocahontas - David, of course being the wilderness guide, Pocahontas - to Budweiser Hat & the "braided fury" - to Daddy Long-legs and Black-eyed Susan (Notice: David was very into "themes" - characters, 'things-on-our-heads' - and nature names). 

Finally, we made it to camp pretty worn out. However, night two we stayed in a very different campsite. It was a spot called "Wolf-laurel Overlook," and it was at the very top of one of the mountains. The ground was soft, completely flat and grassy until it hit the rocky ledges overlooking the surrounding valley. After taking in the view and just lying on our backs for a while in the grass, we set up camp: the tent, a much needed clothesline for our sweaty socks shirts everything, and a big fire to cook some Ramen noodles over. As we remade our life from the night before, I was struck by how unbelievably beautiful our new location was. There wasn't a bubbling brook, and it wasn't quite as secluded (for we were literally on top of the mountain), but the view was stunning and the air was refreshingly cool.
(View of camp)
(View from tent)
As I sat eating GORP (good ole' raisins and peanuts) and playing scrabble on the rock face (we're nerds, I know), I looked into the valley and out at the other surrounding mountains and thought, "Where were we yesterday? Where was that little fire and vicious rain storm?" And I was suddenly struck by how happy I could be in such different places. I had gone from a luscious, green gap to a windy rock face, and I couldn't make up my mind which was better. Looking back now, it is a great picture of our lives. So often it's hard to leave a certain moment/period and turn the page, but if we had stayed in that valley forever, we would have missed the beauty of the mountain top. Not to mention, a key part of the journey was the scrabble-playing, Ramen-eating, fire-breathing making partner by my side. So, I guess I'm ending Camp Elmer - Night Two saying this: Hiking truly is the most amazing analogy for living, nearly perfect for an anniversary. And don't be afraid to leave your valley because the hike may be hard, but the mountain top is beautiful.
 PS: Did I mention we were sore? We woke up wishing someone/anyone would come rescue us in a helicopter, so we wouldn't have to walk the last two miles. Pitiful. We also woke up in a cloud. I guess that happens when you're sleeping on top of a mountain...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...